Factory Direct Orthotics came about from the partnership of two health professionals. We understand the benefit of a proper assessment and use of orthotic devices. In addition, we feel they should be affordable and functional. Our orthotics are constructed of premium quality materials and are fully custom.
Made from a cast impression of your feet, this orthotic is fully customizable and is designed specifically for your feet. Numerous options are available from top cover types to various add-ons for maximum support and comfort.
The orthotic includes the assessment, gait analysis and and dispense information from a certified pedorthist.
- Negative cast impression using a foam impression box or a plaster cast (condition dependant).
- The negative impression is done in a non-weight bearing position with the knee bent to 90 degrees and the foot corrected to a neutral position.
Client is typically in a prone position and the foot is placed in a mechanically neutral position. The plaster is formed to the foot and a plaster slipper is created.
- The negative cast impression is scanned and digitized. The digitized product is altered (corrected/adjusted) based on report and technician assessment.
- The impression is sent to a 3D printer and a positive impression of the foot is created.
- The base (plastic) of the orthotic appliance is shaped to the positive impression. Various shell types and bases are utilized to address certain foot types and conditions.
Top cover and other modifications are added as requested by the client and/or recommended by Footwise and/or the lab based on a client history and the gait analysis. Additions may include add-ons and/or adjustments such as metatarsal pads, posting, etc.
A typical custom orthotic appointment is booked with the Certified Pedorithist. All our orthotics are manufactured at a local lab. Our Pedorthist does:
- Complete history
- Foot and leg assessment
- Visual and computerized gait analysis
- Casting (foam box and or plaster casting)
- Complete paperwork package (you may need this for your insurer)
- 3 months of adjustment on your new custom orthotics if needed so they are perfectly fit to you
We can have your new custom orthotic ready in 10 business days. You can just drop by and pick it up or book an appointment to have it fit to your footwear. We do recommend appointments so we can evaluate the fitting.
- Fit orthotic into footwear
- Assess new orthotic fit
- Evaluate gait with new orthotic
- Home education and break-in period instructions
We manufacture your orthotic so we follow process from start to finish. In addition, modifications and turnarounds are completed in a reasonable time as our lab is local.